PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS WEBSITE
THIS WEBSITE, WHO WE ARE AND HOW TO CONTACT US
- These terms and conditions of use (these “Terms”) tell you the rules for using our website panmurehouse.org (this “Website”).
- This Website is operated by Heriot-Watt University, a company established by Royal Charter in the United Kingdom with number RC000216 and a Scottish charity registered under number SC000278 and having its principal place of business at Riccarton, Edinburgh EH14 4AS, United Kingdom (”We”, “Us”, “Our”). Our VAT number is: 270 8005 79.
- To contact us, please write to us or email us using the contact details set out in paragraph 19.
BY USING OUR WEBSITE YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS
- By using this Website, you confirm that you accept these Terms and that you agree to comply with them.
- If you are under 16 years of age, please do not purchase goods, make a donation using this Website and/or become a member of the Society of Panmure House.
- If you do not agree to these Terms, you must not use this Website.
OTHER TERMS THAT MAY APPLY TO YOU
- These Terms refer to the following additional terms, which also apply to your use of this Website:
- Our Acceptable Use Policy, which sets out the permitted uses and prohibited uses of this Website. When using this Website, you must comply with this Acceptable Use Policy.
- If you purchase goods from this Website, our terms and conditions will apply to the sale.
- If you make a donation to us using this Website, our terms and conditions will apply to the donation.
WE MAY MAKE CHANGES TO THESE TERMS
- We may amend these Terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use this Website, please check these Terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time.
WE MAY MAKE CHANGES TO THIS WEBSITE
- We may update and change this Website from time to time to reflect changes to our services, products, our users’ needs or our business priorities.
WE MAY SUSPEND OR WITHDRAW OUR SITE
- The public parts of this Website are made available free of charge. Where you become a member of the Society of Panmure House then a payment will be required for access to the member area of this Website.
- We do not guarantee that our Website, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our Website for business and operational reasons. We will try to give you reasonable notice of any suspension or withdrawal.
- You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access this Website through your internet connection are aware of these Terms and other applicable terms and conditions, and that they comply with them.
YOU MUST KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT DETAILS SAFE
- If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures for access to this Website then you must treat such information as confidential and not disclose it to any third party.
- We have the right to disable any user identification code or password, whether chosen by you or allocated by us, at any time, if in our reasonable opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of these Terms.
- If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us using the contact details at paragraph 19.
HOW YOU MAY USE MATERIAL ON THIS WEBSITE
- We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in this Website, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
- In respect of the public areas of the Website, you may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from this Website for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on this Website.
- You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
- Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on this Website must always be acknowledged.
- You must not use any part of the content on this Website for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or, where applicable, our licensors.
- If you print off, copy or download any part of our Website in breach of these Terms, your right to use this Website will cease immediately and you must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made.
DO NOT RELY ON INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE
- The content on this Website is provided for general information only.
- Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our Website, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up to date.
WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WEBSITES WE LINK TO
- Where this Website contains links to other websites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them. We have no control over the contents of those websites or resources.
USER-GENERATED CONTENT IS NOT APPROVED BY US
- This Website may include information and materials uploaded by other users of the Website, including to bulletin boards, discussion forums and chat rooms. This information and these materials have not been verified or approved by us. The views expressed by other users on our Website do not represent our views or values.
- If you wish to complain about information and materials uploaded by other users please contact us using the contact details in paragraph 19.
OUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE SUFFERED BY YOU
- Whether you are a consumer or a business user:
- We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Different limitations and exclusions of liability will apply to liability arising as a result of the sale of any goods to you, which will be set out in our terms and conditions of sale.
- If you are a business user:
- We exclude all implied conditions, warranties, representations or other terms that may apply to this Website or any content on it.
- We will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, delict/tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, this Website; or
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on this Website.
- In particular, we will not be liable for:
- loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- business interruption;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
- If you are a consumer user:
- Please note that we only provide this Website for domestic and private use. You agree not to use this Website for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
HOW WE MAY USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We will only use your personal information as set out in our privacy notice.
UPLOADING CONTENT TO OUR WEBSITE
- Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to this Website, or to make contact with other users of this Website, you must comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy.
- You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty. This means you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of warranty.
- Any content you upload to this Website will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but you are required to grant us and, where applicable, any other users of the Website a limited licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties. The rights you license to us are described in
- We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to this Website constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
- We have the right to remove any posting you make on the Website if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy.
- You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content.
WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR VIRUSES AND YOU MUST NOT INTRODUCE THEM
- We do not guarantee that this Website will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
- You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access this Website. You should use your own virus protection software.
- You must not misuse this Website by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to this Website, the server on which this Website is stored or any server, computer or database connected to this Website. You must not attack this Website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use with Website will cease immediately.
RULES ABOUT LINKING TO OUR SITE
- You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
- You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
- You must not establish a link to this Website in any website that is not owned by you.
- This Website must not be framed on any other website, nor may you create a link to any part of our website other than the home page.
- We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
- The website in which you are linking must comply in all respects with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy.
- If you wish to link to or make any use of content on this Website other than that set out above, please contact us using the contact details set out in paragraph 19.
WHICH COUNTRY’S LAWS APPLY TO ANY DISPUTES?
- If you are a consumer, please note that (a) the Contract and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims) will be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of Scotland, and (b) you and we both agree that the Scottish courts will have exclusive jurisdiction except that (i) if you are a resident of Northern Ireland you may also bring proceedings in Northern Ireland, (ii) if you are resident of England, you may also bring proceedings in England, and (iii) if you are resident in the European Union then, subject to Brussels I (recast) (or equivalent provisions) applying to the UK following Brexit, you may be able to raise a claim in the courts of the member state in which you reside or the Scottish courts. In all other circumstances or if you live elsewhere then any dispute or claim will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.
- If you are a business, these Terms, their subject matter and their formation (and any non-contractual disputes or claims) are governed by Scots law. We both agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.
OUR TRADE MARKS
- “Heriot-Watt University” is a registered trade mark
- The Heriot-Watt University logo is a registered trade mark
- “Edinburgh Business School” is a registered trade mark
- “Panmure House” is a trade mark
- The Adam Smith Panmure House logo is a trade mark
- panmurehouse.org is a trade mark
You are not permitted to use the trade marks without our approval.
(marked “for the attention of Panmure House”)
Last updated 29 September 2020.