To enable PhD students currently enrolled at Heriot-Watt University to travel abroad to study and research any aspect of business, economics, or finance relating to the legacy of Adam Smith and the present-day mission of his former home, Panmure House.
Successful candidates are expected to undertake their travel and research during the summer vacation wherever possible. This is an excellent opportunity to collect data for their thesis.
Value of award: up to £2,000. Up to three grants may be awarded in each academic year.
Criteria for selection:
The following factors will be taken into consideration:
- Quality of academic record
- Proposed travel and research plans
- Record of service to the community
- Relevance to the mission of Panmure House and the works of Adam Smith
- Reference from their personal tutor, supervisor or supervisory team
Each of these is important - academic performance is not the sole criterion. The committee looks particularly for evidence of originality of the proposal and its practicality within the budget of £2,000.
Applications are invited from all full-time and part-time PhD and DBA students studying at Heriot-Watt University who are undertaking business, economics, and finance-related research.
Applicants should complete the online form and upload their documents on the Panmure House Global Gateway website.
All documents should be uploaded in PDF format.
- An abridged 2-page CV
- Transcript / certificates of undergraduate and masters degrees
- A detailed outline of the proposed travel plan including key dates, budget for accommodation, vaccinations (if necessary), transport and research costs
- References:we require two letters of recommendation as part of your application. Your recommenders must submit their letters through our application platform. Without these letters your application will not be considered. Get in touch with two people who have relevant experience of you and insight into your character as soon as possible - even before applications open - to ask them permission and give them time to write their letters. Once you register a recommender on the platform, they will receive an email asking them to log on and upload their letter.
- You will be asked to write answers to several short questions about the principles and ideals of Adam Smith and on your personal journey.